Monday, March 19, 2007

School Trouble

I have got my first taste of "trouble at school" Last Thursday, I get a phone call from Salem Keizer Public schools. With everything going around, I figure Tristan is sick. Onl,y last time I got that phone call, as any good mom would do, I ran down to the school and brought him home. Only to hear. "Mom, I am hungry...... Can I go out and play?" Obviously, he doesn't really feel sick. After talking about the situation, I find out he was afraid he would get in trouble for talking to these other kids that just won't leave him alone. (I am sure they didn't do all the talking) So, where would he get the idea, to play sick. First grade is a little early for that!
Anyway, off the subject just a bit. Back to Thursday. I told him if he ever did that again, I would not come and get him.. Getting my speech ready.... It is not the office, but the Counselor. Tristan has been sent to the Counselors office for FIGHTING!! I can't believe it... I am mortified. Not my Tristan. Melodramatic and extremely emotionalmaybe, but fighting, no way. The counselor told me that no one remembers who threw the first punch!! He had to stay in the office as what the call in-school suspension, while the other kid was sent home. Tristan told me later that the other kid gets in trouble all the time. Phew! relief, probably a huge mis understanding. Until Friday....
The phone rings... Salem Keizer Schools... "Hello, Wende this Mr. (can't remember his name) counselor again.. I have Tristan in here today for a confrontation with a GIRL!!!"" Now what? We have talked many time about respecting girls, no hitting, let them go first etc..
Tristan says, it is never his fault and It always involves someone cutting in line.
Yikes.
Any one know of any good anger management, or emotional techniques.. Cody is the brute most of the time at home.. I think I am in for a world of hurt!!

At least I had a wonderful weekend in Newport with Just Lonnie and me. No stress, no schedule. Very nice. Now back to reality..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so hard! Emotions in kids and especially boys are difficult, because they are learning how to act appropriately in emotional situations.

Alida said...

Oh, I'm not looking forward to those days at all. Just remember you are the only advocate Tristan has at school. Stand firm with both Tristan and the school. Sound like there is maybe a little more going on then what either one is telling. Good Luck.

Happy McNally Mom said...

Good luck Wendi!!!!!! These years are so hard, but we need to lay that foundation for these kids. How else are they going to learn then to test the boundaries. Hang in there girl. He is lucky to have a very caring mom like you.